It's with a tear in my eye that I say, after 10 years of "service", that Lazylaces is now going on extended hiatus. Those of you that know me will know that this is not easy decision, which is why it's "extended hiatus" and not a straight "goodbye", but I no longer have the free time, or energy, to maintain and enjoy Lazylaces like I would like to. My life has been getting more and more busy (for lots of great, beautiful & fantastic reasons, not just work), and I've been having to squeeze in work on Lazylaces in earlier and earlier, and shorter and shorter, bits of the day, to point where it's now all getting a bit ridiculous. I've barely visited my own website after 7am for over a year now, I have to set an even earlier alarm for the days where I have lots to post, and having time to write more than a sentence per post is a luxury I rarely get. The days where I got time to play & enjoy each and every game, and comment/hint/walkthru with other players, are long gone, and really without that it's very difficult for me to find a reason to continue. At some point I'm likely to start completely winding down the site, but I don't have an exact schedule, or indeed any idea of how/what/when this will be yet. For now, at least for a while, the site, and it's archive, will be staying online 'as is', and I would think that "something" is likely to continue being here in perpetuity, even if it's just a holding page. I'll also be keeping the Facebook page open, and maybe I'll even occasionally update it (and the twitter feed too, but I never did get to like twitter, so don't expect too much from that). Thank you for visiting, playing, and taking part at Lazylaces over the years. I hope y'all find somewhere else nice to waste your time :) Feel free to look me up online if you want to keep in touch, and remember to check the wastepaper basket for clues. Graeme :o)
I've been working on a couple of site updates for Lazylaces recently which have just gone live:
- New Pages For Links: Over the years I've lost count of the number of people that have asked me to change the links in posts so that they open in a new page/tab rather than replacing the lazylaces page they are on in the the current page/tab. I always kind of liked it the way it was, but enough people have asked me now that I've bowed to the pressure and made the change, and now I must admit I kind of like it too.
- Hosted Games: I'm trying out a new thing with hosted games. I'm just trying it out with Little Samurai (from a while back) for now, but you should see at least a few more of these in the future.
I've been developing a few site updates over the last few weeks, and this morning I've finally put them live on the site. In no particular order they are:
- Paging: For those of you who manage to scroll to the bottom of the page on a regular basis, your friend the "older" link, used to go back through the pages of content, is now joined by a "newer" link (where/when appropriate) to allow you then then go back forward through the pages. A few people who like to go over the older posts had asked for this one, and despite it's apparent simplicity, believe me, it was a real nasty one to implement. Enjoy, and let me know if you find any bugs or snags.
- Searches: Search results for the site search (see top right of every page) have been updated to give a count of the results, and an index of dated pages containing the results for you to chose from (that can then be paged through - see above). Hopefully this will make finding what you are looking for easier, and make older items more accessible (you don't have page back through a 100 pages now). Also at the bottom of every search results page the "older" and "newer" paging links are joined by an "All Search Results" link to take you back to your index of search results.
- Vaults: The Lazy Vaults, a repository of everything on the site, also linked at the bottom of every page, have also been restyled as an index of dated pages (like search results), again hopefully helpful for finding older stuff and navigating around posts generally. Also you can now browse the vaults by category, eg just the games.
- More: I've fixed the lazytweeting widget that appears on every post so it no longer has problems with punctuation and special characters. I have also ported the RSS feed over to Feedburner/Google. Anyone currently subscribed should be automatically redirected and you should not need to change your subscription (but if it does all go wrong, just pick up the new address).
UPDATE: Lazylaces has had a bunch of intermittent loading problems (slow to load, or won't load), and/or error message issues recently (especially earlier today), but hopefully they have all been fixed now. It turns out I was chasing thin air looking for the source of the problem in my coding, it was actually the fault of the server the database was running on. This has now been replaced by my web hosts, so all should be well again, and from what I can see the site is feeling particularly nippy now, with the pages, dare I say it, loading faster than they ever have (although possibly I am exaggerating slightly there, they are going pretty quick though).